Every bride-to-be invests sooooo much time into choosing that ‘to die for’ wedding gown, along with the perfect shoes and accessories to match. Hours are spent over picking the perfect posey to compliment that gown they are dying over – But how much thought goes into choosing your make-up style?
Here are my top 3 favourite bridal make-up trends for 2014, along with my artist tips and recommended products to create them. All of these looks are classically beautiful and will not date. Best of all they suit everyone!
This pretty and romantic bridal look is all about glowing skin and feminine, pink hues. It especially suits pale to medium skin tones.
- Start by mixing a small amount of illuminating cream like Mac Strobe Cream along with your liquid foundation. Cover any blemishes with a cream concealer like Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage. Lighten and brighten any dark circles with a light reflecting concealer pen, Clinique Air Brush Concealer is my favorite. Set make-up with a thin layer of transparent powder like Mac Prep & Prime Finishing Powder.
- Highlight the top of your cheekbone with a frosted illuminator like Benefit High Beam. Finish cheeks with a light sweep of pink powder or cream blush across the apples of your cheeks and up towards your ears.
- Apply a long wear cream shadow such as Mac Paint Pots, in Bare Study. Blend all over the lid and just above the crease. Follow with a sheer wash of pink or peachy toned eye shadow and blend just above the socket line.
- Softly define eyes by lining the lash line with a charcoal or stone coloured eyeshadow. Use damp, small angled brush and press into lash line. Finish with two coats of waterproof mascara such as Lancôme Hypnose.
- Keep brows natural. Comb upwards then fill in any gaps with a powder shadow no darker than your natural brow colour.
- Complete look with a pretty pink lipstick like Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge in Pale Pink. Pencil over the top for more definition and longer lasting colour.
This natural make-up look is created with a sheer foundation base, clever contouring and a mix of bronze and golden hues. This is stunning for medium to darker complexions.
- Start with a primer such as Clairns Beauty Flash Balm. Create a natural but flawless base with a liquid foundation like Bobbi Brown Moisture Rich Foundation. Cover any blemishes with your cream concealer and use a light-reflecting wand like YSL Touché Eclat under the eye. Set foundation with a setting powder such as Mac Studio Fix.
- Contour face by sweeping a matt bronzer such as Bobbi Brown Bronzer directly under your cheekbones (suck your cheeks in to see where) blend upwards towards your ear. Frame your face by blending your bronzer into your hairline, blend well.
- Highlight cheeks, cupids bow and collar bone with a shimmer bronzer. Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick is my go to for this look.
- Apply a gold or bronze eyeshadow over eyelid, inner corner and lower lash line. Finish with 3 to 4 individual false lashes, working from the outer edge to two thirds in. Follow with two coats of waterproof mascara.
- Fill in and shape brows, then set with a brow gel like Bobbi Brown Natural Brow Shaper.
- With a colour that is one or two shades darker that your natural lip colour, pencil entire mouth, use a long wear pencil like Mac Lip Pencil in Boldly Bare. Lastly, pat a moisturising lip balm in the center of your lips for a gorgeous plump pout.
If understated make-up is not for you, opt for this soft but more make-up look. This look really accentuates the eyes. The soft smokey eye, paired with pinky peach cheeks and lips is such a youthful look.
- Create a flawless base with a medium coverage foundation such as Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation. Conceal any spots and dark circles, then set with a fine dusting of transparent powder over T-zone and any conceal work.
- Apply a cream or powder blush over the apples of your cheeks and up towards ears.
- Blend a warm toned brown eyeshadow just above the crease line. Line upper lash line with a dark brown eye shadow using a damp, small angled brush. Smudge in a mixture of the medium and dark shadow onto lower lash line and smoke out with a small bullet brush. Dot a gold or frosted eyeshadow on the inner corner of each eye. Coat lashes in waterproof mascara. Apply a full set of good quality false lashes. Trim to fit the outer two thirds of your eye, wait until the glue is tacky then apply.
- Keep brows light and natural.
- Complete look with a coral or peach lipstick Apply with your finger for a softer, “lived in” look.
Auckland based make-up artist Hayley Amundsen is renowned for creating fresh and flawless make-up looks. Hayley specialises in Weddings, and is a regular contributor to NZ Weddings Magazine. The secret to Hayley’s glowing complexions are her meticulous, light handed application, coupled with using the highest quality professional make-up brands including Bobbi Brown, Mac, Chanel, Benefit, Stila, Estee Lauder and Clinique.
Hayley welcomes all enquiries for her services; from Weddings, special occasions, tutorials alike.